Matfield Green - Our first years

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Heating up

It's hot today for really the first time. High 80s I suppose. The garden is crying out for water - I'll respond when I get home from work. As our new house takes shape (Bill is done painting, the cabinets and appliances are in, Pat 1/2 done putting up the siding, and the ground is now dry enough that the contractors are beginning the work to erect our wind tower) ... as our new house takes shape one of my favorite things about it is being able to look out the upstairs window and see the garden, all in green and yellow. Plants green and yellow straw for mulch. I'm going crazy but not overboard on the straw to conserve water and hold back the weeds.

There is a green tomatoe on one of the plants.

We've been eating chard, collards and peas, in addition to lettuce and strawberries. And the beans are about 4 inches tall - strong and proud in there many rows in spite of a some bug bitten leaves. I planted Kentucky Wonders, bush beans (a nice black dry bean), favas, yellow wax and soy beans. Oops, may have told you that already.

Meanwhile baby is growing apace. Not sure how much longer I'm going to be able to bicycle to work with this stomach in the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home